Job Posting – Counsel, Policy – Airbnb, Inc.
New York, NY; San Francisco, CA; Washington, DC
Close Date: 5/15/17
Founded in August of 2008 and based in San Francisco, California, Airbnb is a trusted community marketplace for people to list, discover, and book unique travel experiences around the world. Whether an apartment for a night, a castle for a week, or a villa for a month, Airbnb allows people to Belong Anywhere through unique travel experiences at any price point, in more than 34,000 cities and over 190 countries. We promote a culture of curiosity, humanity, and creativity through our product, brand, and, most importantly, our people.
Role & Responsibilities
Airbnb is a mission-driven company dedicated to helping create a world where people can belong anywhere. It takes a unified team that is committed to our core values to achieve this goal.
Airbnb’s Legal team embodies the company’s innovative, forward-thinking spirit. At the frontier of the new sharing economy, Airbnb is breaking new ground in matters of policy, law, and government relations. Where some see obstacles, we see opportunity to find creative, practical solutions – right at the cutting edge, around the world. Our adventurous, fast-moving group of 70 is committed to building a team of talented, collaborative and self-motivated legal professionals across the globe who believe in Airbnb’s mission and don’t take themselves too seriously.
We are looking for a qualified attorney with deep experience in policy and political law to join our growing Legal Policy Team. The Counsel, Policy position is responsible for advising on legislative and policy issues in the United States and will be located in our San Francisco, New York, or Washington DC office.
Candidates should be execution-oriented, have not just solid legal and policy backgrounds but strong business acumen, superior analytical, writing, and negotiation skills, and be enthusiastic, well organized, and team-focused. Strong interpersonal and communication skills, the ability to operate in a fast-paced environment, and a good sense of humor are all essential. Background should demonstrate a strong attention to detail and experience in a role involving access to highly sensitive and confidential information.
- Advise the fast-growing Airbnb government affairs team on legislative issues across the country.
- Provide advice and counsel to various internal clients on regulatory, legislative, and policy issues.
- Review and analyze legislation and legal risks for Airbnb in U.S. jurisdictions, including in the development of products and services impacted by or impacting policy issues.
- Collaborate with outside counsel to efficiently understand laws and legislative proposals affecting short-term rentals in cities across the United States.
- Represent Airbnb in discussions with legislators and regulators regarding proposed and existing regulations affecting the business.
Required Background, Knowledge, Skills
- J.D. with strong academic record and demonstrated record for success as a lawyer in the legal policy arena.
- Member of Bar of office location or eligible to register as Registered In-House Counsel.
- Minimum of 5+ years of relevant experience; significantly more experience welcome and taken into account.
- Significant experience dealing with elected officials and legislation in a fast-paced environment.
- Demonstrated ability to provide entrepreneurial, quick-thinking, pragmatic, business-oriented advice and to properly balance risks and business reward; ability to craft legal solutions in novel ways is essential.
- Highly motivated, efficient, and organized; able to juggle multiple projects at a time in a fast-paced environment, both collaborating as a team and working independently.
- Outstanding communication skills, both written and verbal, and ability to advocate for a position while maintaining open-minded approach.
- Interest in expanding your practice to diverse areas of law as legal team grows and matures and policy issues evolve.
- Passion for travel, home sharing and deep appreciation for Airbnb community.
- Good sense of humor, disdain for drama, and desire to get things done.
- Prior land use and real estate experience helpful.
Airbnb is committed to working with the best and brightest people from the broadest talent pool possible. We believe a diversity of ideas fosters innovation and engagement, and allows us to attract the best people, and develop the best products, services and solutions. Qualified individuals from all walks of life are encouraged to apply.