Job Posting – Head of Intellectual Property – Facebook
Head of Intellectual Property
Menlo Park, California – USA
Close Date: 5/31/17
Facebook’s mission is to give people the power to share, and make the world more open and connected. Through our growing family of apps and services, we’re building a different kind of company that helps billions of people around the world connect and share what matters most to them. Whether we’re creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to make the world more open and accessible. Connecting the world takes every one of us—and we’re just getting started.
Facebook Legal is seeking a highly motivated, experienced leader to serve as the Head of its Intellectual Property team. Working with a talented team, the position will help develop and execute Facebook’s patent, open source, copyright, and trademark strategy for Facebook and our family of apps, products, and services. This is a leadership position – both within the legal department and across the company – and involves managing a large and growing team of talented legal professionals. This is a great opportunity to join a growing legal team and to work on novel issues in an exciting, fast-paced environment. This position is based at our Headquarters in Menlo Park, California.
- Lead patent strategy for Facebook and its subsidiaries, including building our patent portfolio
- Work cross-functionally with engineering and other partners to further Facebook’s position as a leader and contributor in open source projects
- Counsel on patent, open source and related IP issues that arise in connection with mergers & acquisitions, commercial licensing and other transactions, and research partnerships.
- Oversee product counseling and dispute resolution, including notice-and-takedown work, in areas of potential intermediary liability (in particular copyright and trademark)
- Oversee trademark prosecution and enforcement
- Support and help grow a large team of talented attorneys, paralegals, and other legal professionals
- JD degree with membership in at least one state bar
- 10+ years of relevant IP legal experience
- Experience developing and executing patent strategy and counseling on open source issues in the software industry
- Experience with intermediary liability issues faced by Internet companies in the U.S. and abroad
- Experience leading, managing, and growing a team
- Technical experience in the high-technology industry, either through education or from past technical roles
- Experience working in-house as leader of a technology law team
- Collaborative work style, and experience in highly cross-functional environments
- International experience in the areas of patent, open source, and intermediary liability
- Experience with trademark prosecution and enforcement