Job Posting – Senior Director, IP Litigation – CISCO
Senior Director, IP Litigation
San Jose, California
Job ID: 1201422
Close Date: 5/15/17
What You’ll Do
You are technical, highly strategic and business savvy and you find creative and practical solutions to resolve issues. You have a demonstrated track record of success in IP disputes and high stakes litigation, excellent interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to synthesize complex legal issues, assess legal risks and provide clear counseling and advice at all levels and across all functions of the company. You are a high-energy self-starter, with an aim to succeed and take managed risks, and a cultivator of top talent to build future leaders.
Who You’ll Work With
Cisco’s litigation team includes our commercial litigators, intellectual property litigators, HR attorneys, legal specialists and paralegals, brand protection team, and e-Discovery/IT lab. Our IP litigation group is responsible for the company’s global IP litigation matters and works closely with teams across the legal department, including Cisco’s team of IP strategists, licensing and portfolio specialists, and sales and technology transaction negotiators, as well as our engineering and finance teams across the company.
The position will report to our Vice President of Litigation and will lead Cisco’s in-house patent litigators and partner closely with outside counsel on intellectual property disputes and litigation.
Who You Are
You drive rigor and innovation to elevate existing strategies and enable the company’s growth with openness and integrity. You are the go-to SME on a wide range of intellectual property law issues, including IP litigation, assisting in license negotiations, and developing and implementing policies relating to intellectual property.
You will lead the team of patent litigators and select and manage outside counsel. You will also negotiate fee agreements and structures using alternative fee arrangements that align Cisco’s interest with the interest of outside counsel and maximize likelihood of successful outcomes. Developing litigation and trial strategies on all matters and resolving pre-litigation disputes is another key responsibility.
You will counsel on IP protection and partner with finance on litigation budgeting, reserves, and disclosures. Being able to lobby and speak publicly on issues related to IP Litigation are two more areas of responsibility.
- Juris Doctorate (JD) with a strong academic record
- 10+ years of patent litigation experience, including experience with jury and bench trials and IPR’s and other proceedings before governmental agencies
- A consistent record in successfully defending a large-cap technology company in IP litigation and experience working with public relations on high profile matters
- Significant experience in organizations recognized for their ability to successfully defend their customers
- Publicly speaking and lobbying on litigation and IP topics
- Ability to run a diverse and active docket of IP litigation matters and work in a complex, matrixed corporate environment
- Demonstrated record of successful leadership, including identifying and developing top talent, making tough decisions, credibly challenging the status quo when necessary while also being pragmatic and decisive, and inspiring smart risk taking, independent thinking and strategic approaches to disputes
- Demonstrate the enthusiasm, influencing skills, presence, and confidence necessary to tackle sophisticated legal issues in a dynamic, global business setting
- Excellent client management, writing, advocacy and organizational skills
- Location is Cisco’s main campus in San Jose; occasional travel expected.
We connect everything: people, processes, data, and things. We innovate everywhere, taking bold risks to shape the technologies that give us smart cities, connected cars, and handheld hospitals. And we do it in style with unique personalities who aren’t afraid to change the way the world works, lives, plays and learns.
We are thought leaders, tech geeks, pop culture aficionados, and we even have a few purple haired rock stars. We celebrate the creativity and diversity that fuels our innovation. We are dreamers and we are doers.
We Are Cisco.