Job Posting – Sr. IP Legal Counsel – Philips Lighting – Burlington, MA or Valhalla, NY
Burlington, MA or Valhalla, NY, USA
The IP Counsel position provides a unique opportunity for you to push your technical and legal education and skills into the business side of IP through the monetization and leveraging of Philips Lighting’s substantial patent portfolio at this crucial period in which the lighting industry is being redefined and transformed due to the rapid adoption of Light Emitting Diode (LED) technologies.
As an IP Counsel within the Licensing Group of the Philips Lighting Intellectual Property team you will be challenged to think and work creatively to leverage your technical and patent law experience to meet the goals of the group while participating in and driving the acceleration of the adoption of LED technologies.
The Philips Lighting Intellectual Property team is a global enterprise that manages all aspects of IP for Philips Lighting and, accordingly, offers you an excellent opportunity to learn and network with professionals throughout the world in order to increase your knowledge of intellectual property matters and to continue your professional development. You will be a contributing member of the Licensing Group working under the guidance, supervision and assistance of senior team members but with the opportunity to take on more responsibility and independence as additional experience is gained.
Participate in all phases of patent licensing and enforcement:
- Identify potential licensees of a patent license program.
- Analyze products through reverse engineering efforts to investigate instances of possible patent infringement and prepare infringement analysis of products.
- Contact, engage, draft and negotiate intellectual property license agreements with third parties.
- Identify and prepare business cases for possible enforcement actions against infringers.
- Manage outside counsel in regards to enforcement actions and/or patent validity challenges.
- Maintain a thorough up-to-date knowledge of IP law and related legal fields.
- Undergraduate degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Physics or comparable degree
- A JD or LLB in Law from an accredited Law School
- Admission to practice law in at least one state in the US
- At least five years of experience in a law firm or corporation performing patent prosecution, patent litigation, licensing or counseling
- Ability to understand patent claims and be able to create and understand claim charts and infringement studies
- Admission to the USPTO a plus