Celebrating Women’s History Month with Insight from ChIPs Members
ChIPs Members present clear concrete advice as to how to make the future of innovation inclusive for all.
For Women’s History Month, ChIPs is building upon the UN theme for International Women’s Day 2023, “DigitALL: Innovation and technology for gender equality”.
We asked experts in tech and IP law and policy how we can create a future imagined by this theme. ChIPsters responded with concrete actions to increase the number and impact of women in innovation and to open pathways for the next generation to thrive.
How do we create a future where we celebrate the impact of girls and women, and enjoy the type of innovative success that can only exist where ALL individuals have access to digital spaces? Read below for action steps on “How to Make the Future DigitALL”.
- Channel your inner Chad. Laurie Charrington, Director of Patent Litigation, Netflix; long-time ChIPs supporter; founding chapter leader of Silicon Valley Chapter; ChIPs Global Summit Planning Committee Member; ChIPs Honor Roll Committee Member; and prior speaker at both ChIPs Global Summit and ChIPs NextGen.
- Broaden your perspective of innovation. Hope Shimabuku, Regional Director of Texas Regional United States Patent and Trademark Office and member of the leadership team for ChIPs Texas.
- Sponsor talented women. Lori Lesser, Partner and Head of IP Practice at Simpson Thacher & Bartlett LLP, ChIPs Advisory Board member, and public speaker.
- Mix it up and take risks. Ellen Smith, Associate General Counsel, Head of Intellectual Property, Gritstone bio, Inc. and ChIPs General Counsel Boot Camp Member.
- Create more pathways to opportunities. Kathi Vidal, Under Secretary of Commerce for Intellectual Property and Director of the United States Patent and Trademark Office, and a former ChIPs Advisory Board Member.
- Be an ally. Kandace D. Walter, Managing Attorney, Walter Legal PLLC, and ChIPs Texas Member.
- Highlight different career access points. Shannon Silversmith, Director, Product & IP, Cohesity.
- Create a strong outreach plan. Sarita Venkat, VP & Deputy General Counsel of Global Litigation & Competition, Cisco, and ChIPs Board Member.
- Innovate with compassion. Meredith Price, Associate General Counsel, Intel Corporation, and Co-Chair, ChIPs NextGen Committee.
- Be authentic. Annsley Merelle Ward, Partner, WilmerHale LLP, and Chair of ChIPs UK.
- Advocate for yourself. Sanjesh Sharma, Assistant General Counsel – Patents, Johnson & Johnson, and ChIPs Orange County Chapter Leader.
Persevere. Elaine Spector, Partner, Harrity & Harrity, LLP, and ChIPs Washington D.C. Member.
- Change the culture. Brianna Hinojosa-Smith, Chief Legal Officer – Digital & Technology, Yum! Brands, public speaker and mentor.
- Create a sense of belonging. Stephanie Burns, Senior Vice President and General Counsel, Sony Interactive Entertainment.
- Share your goals. Danielle Coleman, Senior Director & Associate General Counsel – Global Litigation, VMware.
- Be brave. Melissa Jobe, Head of Intellectual Property, T-Mobile, 2023 ChIPs General Counsel Boot Camp Participant and ChIPs Volunteer.